Tower of temple that Brigham Young didn’t like destroyed by lightning after his death
The St. George Temple was dedicated on April 6, 1877 and was the first temple completed by the Church after the exodus from Nauvoo. Upon completing the temple, Brigham Young was not completely satisfied with the tower and dome, thinking that it was too squatty. He wanted it fixed, but the Saints were so happy to have an operating temple, that he did not push the suggestion.
About a year after the dedication (and after Brigham Young’s death), on October 16, 1878, a large storm rolled through and a lightning bolt struck the tower, starting it on fire. The damage was severe enough that the tower had to be rebuilt. Members, knowing how Brigham Young wanted the tower to look, built it taller.
Whether the lightning strike was just coincidence or if Brigham Young really wanted a new tower will remain a mystery. But either way, Brigham Young got his way.